This year, since both the girls are a bit older now and understand Christmas, I have decided to start a few family traditions of our own. One of the first being, an Advent Calendar. I love the idea of Advent Calendars but I couldn’t find one that I truly loved for our home in stores.
Of course, I then browsed Pinterest for some ideas and came up with an easy and cheap DIY advent calendar that you can make in less than 15 minutes.
- Small brown paper gift bags – I found these below at hobby lobby. You can really pick any size that goes in the space you want to hang them.
- A roll of twine or ribbon
- Black Sharpie Marker
- Candy of your choice
- Craft Clips
- Start by labeling 1-24 on each bag with your sharpie marker
- Stuff each bag with the candy of your choice – my kids LOVE lollipops
- Seal the bag with the clip to hold in place
- For the next step, you can either tape the twine in place on the wall, or in my case, since the bags were pretty heavy I used nails to secure the twine to the wall. If you use tiny nails, you will hardly see the nail hole once removed.
- Clip the bags to the twine, you can use as many rows of twine as you need. For my space I only needed two long strands of twine to go across the chalkboard.
And there you go!! Super easy, I did this in literally 10 minutes! I can’t wait for December 1st so we can start opening up the bags.
However, once my girls know that lollipops are in the bags, I can foresee this being a daily issue. I might need to move the sofa so they can not reach the bags. My kids will try anything for candy!
I would love to see your own DIY Advent calendars! Please tag me @clareandgracedesigns on Instagram so I can admire your work!